Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Homeward Bound

 

Up before six as we prepare to head home today.  Showers, packing last bits and sorting some smaller items.  I grabbed a luggage cart from downstairs and we loaded it up with all the gear. Kelly will be checking in two bags for the trip home as her carry on has become to heavy to lug around:-) I have my backpack employed to carry my 23” props from VLV’s Mark Hu. 

We arranged a cab to take us to the international terminal and within 10 minutes we were unloading at departures. Check in was easy and we won’t see those bags until Victoria. My back says thanks! 

Next was security where my VLV motor system got a second look but all good. Next was passport control for the obligatory scan and we were into the duty free area. Just to the right is the TRS kiosk and this is where you can claim back your taxes on goods as a tourist.  I only did my motor, spinner & battery tray but it was worth it.  I’ll get taxed in Canada (I think) because I am over the exemption by $920.  Oh well I seldom buy stuff on these trips.  Kelly wandered the duty free while I waited in line. 

I had gone online previously and did all my documentation so all I needed to do was present my unique QR code, sale receipt, passport and boarding card and they will credit my CC within sixty days. It only took about 2 minutes once I reached the agent. Hey I’ll take the $172! 

I met up with Kelly at the entrance to the Air New Zealand Lounge and we enjoyed a quiet bite of breakfast. 

We then headed down to the gate but there was a delay in boarding…. They said a catering delay but in actuality it was a temperature issue within the plane. No APU and no ground air available so they did a rush boarding and started an engine at the gate once the doors closed. If cooled down quickly. 

We pushed at 10:23 local ( 17:23 Vancouver time on Tuesday) and departed at 10:42. 

Had a visit from one of the pilots I flew with at Jazz, Cathy Copeland was one of today’s crew and came back and we had a nice catch up. 



Cruising… blogging…  cocktails… dinner… movie… snack… Jammies... sleep.. breakfast.. clothes 

Actually managed to write my Managers Report for the Team as well. 

Landed YVR @ 06:44 Wednesday morning and on the gate @ 06:50

Gathered our stuff and went through customs & immigration.  So to review, Immigration consisted of a photo/passport check that took 2 minutes and customs was a few questions on what we did, explaining the World Championship’s and what my $1700 purchase was.  A VLV Contra Drive airplane motor and various bits. He took our passports to process and presto we were through. A walk to gate C34 and we took our flight to Victoria. Kris & Anna picked us up and we were home by 9:15.

We are now fading... time for a nap! Will check spelling & grammar later.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment